We recommend you spend some time exploring our churchyard and its extension in the field below the west end of the church.
The churchyard area around the church building is now closed for burials. It is maintained by Barnsley MB Council. Some interments of ashes have been allowed in recent years near the base of the tower. The oldest grave memorials are to be found in this area. It is thought that John (Swift Nick) Nevison the glamorous highwayman was born in Wortley. There is a grave with the family name on it.
The top entrance nearest to The Wortley Arms has an oak Lych Gate with a stone coffin rest in the centre. The lower entrance has a War Memorial Gate which has the names of those who fell in WW1 and WW2 serving their country.
Outside the porch is the base of an early stone churchyard cross with a sundial pedestal. It has the date 1679 carved into it.
In the churchyard extension are the graves of some of the Wortley Family and the Earls of Wharncliffe. They are to be found in the top corner nearest to the tower house.
There are 3 War Graves in the extension, 2 are from WW2 and 1 from 1920.
Some fine trees can be seen growing in the churchyard and there are splendid views over the surrounding countryside.